Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Waiting Chronicles: Something Amazing that happened today...

So I was at work today waiting on tables and it was kinda getting slow. I only have one table and it doesn't look like I'm not going to get too many more. So I go to check on my table and see that I have a new one. So I go and do my usual greet the table "Hello how are you today.? What can I get you started with to drink?" The woman replies that she wants a sweet tea. So I bring it out to her and ask her what she wants to order a Steak and Shrimp so i ask her what sides she wants and how she wants her steak cooked, blah blah blah, as I'm about to leave I thought I heard her say something about an Apple Pie. I jump on that to see if she would like one. She told me that she was unsure, so I tell her that she can decide later if she wants. So I go by the table a few more times and see that she has her head down on her arms. This is a very strange position for one of my guests to be in. I figure that she is tired and don't really think about it anymore. So I get her food out and see if she did in fact want that apple pie. She said that she really wanted to because it was her birthday. This woman was by herself on her birthday!!! When she told me this I immediately felt like I should have talked to her ,given her free food or something. Anything to brighten her obviously dark day. In the end see decided that she did want the Pie. Usually when I find out that it is one of my guests birthdays (and they order a desert) I will right "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" on their plate. So for this Apple pie I decided to do something different. I wanted to give her something special. So I wrote all over the outside of the plate "HAVE A NICE AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY". OK so maybe not the best thought-out phrase but I was working as fast as I could. When I brought it out to her she laughed and said that it was very nice. Soon after that she asked for a to-go box. So I bring her one and with it her ticket. She payed me with a hundred dollar bill and wanted change. I bring her change out to her and she gives me twenty of it back and said these words "It was nice to smile today. Thank you" I almost melted on the spot.Amazing, I was able to change this woman's whole day for the better just because of what I did for her. I almost gave her a hug but she was already out of the door. That is the kind of thing that I love about my job that only happens very rarely.